The fast way to Split URL to Columns using Google Sheets.
Need to split URL to columns in Google Sheets? As an ETL consultancy, we know the pains of having to “split text” to columns.
This is how I’d automate it, see the “Cell Splitter” tool, drag and drop, schedule and forget. I’m doing it right now, screenshot of KNIME below, it’s rather common to split content based on a condition, and can be accomplished with any programming language & time.
This ETL developer tool stuff can tend to be complex, so let’s discuss how we can do this utilizing Google Sheets. If you’re interested in learning more about knime, check out our website www.knime.dev!
Below we show how to split text to columns, how to automate getting coordinates and help you avoid this very boring task.
“Pick up a bean, put it in a bag, and then empty that bag in a pile over there. Now, start over.”
Here take this ax. You’re going to need it!
This blog is the documentation built for our internal WIKI and cleaned up for consumption.
If you’re a technical expert, here’s all you need to know to split text to columns in google sheets.
- Shortcut keys = ctrl+alt+d, E, arrow keys up and down select between the options, enter.
If you’re not as technical and prefer a broken out explanation with screenshots, read below.
If you want to be guided more and things explained, keep reading.
We explain how we get the URLs automated, and share the exact logic used to do it below. In our 11 step tutorial.
The use case is we have 100+ URLs with coordinates from a previous lesson.
Split URL to Columns in 11 easy steps.
Let’s use Google Sheets Split Url to Columns function now!
- Left-click the column header with URLs
- Left click Data, Ctrl+Alt+D or Ctrl+Option+D,
- Left click Split text to columns… or E
- On the bottom of your browser – you’ll see a subtle menu. If you have a big screen, you could miss this at first! Google Sheets natively uses comma separator.
- Left click Custom to open the wild card Split text to column finder.
- Type @ to separate by a character or many.
- Copy – Latitude – and paste it in column D header.
- Left click column D to select the entire column of Latitude, Longitude, etc….
- Left click Data, Left click Split Text to columns… (Refer to Step 4 screenshot above)
- Use Custom for the separator, and leave it set to default comma.
- Copy – Longitude – paste that to Column E.
Split URL to Columns in Google Sheets
Splitting text into columns is amazing if you want to avoid spending money to get coordinates.
Google Sheets offers a two-click win, 1 type win.
If you need any help with it, please comment below.
Saving time by macro-ing and using google sheets split text to columns function.
Stacking solutions are critical, we prefer KNIME, however this blog covers how to use Google sheets effectively.