“What is a Tableau Consultant?” My mother-in-law mentioned while she was visiting last week.
What is a Tableau Consultant, great question?
Tableau consultants have their hands so deep into the business data, if not in a ‘reporting only role,’ can proliferate sweeping business changes with minutes worth of clicking.
Whenever people ask me what I do for a living, it generally takes awhile to really hit the hammer on the nail.
After solving different problems at 100+ companies, it’s hard to really pin point it.
My wife now casually laughs when someone asks me what I do for a living. What is a Tableau Consultant they will ask me?
So what did I end up telling my mother-in-law?
“What is a Tableau Consultant?” Answer: We are Community Leaders and Data Jedi.
Most of the time in the Tableau community, I’m seeing a lot of misinformation passed as solutions, and that’s merely from the fact that the end users are looking to increase their score on the community blog, not because they want to give the best solution to users.
So, when I say community leaders – from a Tableau community perspective, I’m speaking of that with a grain of salt. Often times I find Tableau Server is installed incorrectly, architected poorly, and not easy to administrate.
You will find my picture over the Tableau Community at the Tableau Home Page.
Are we Tableau Community leaders? The best Tableau Jedi Are!
Hammer meet hail. We are a community-based solution expert who enjoys data, we are willing to look things up and spin their wheels until the lights turn off.
The really good ones will ask the experienced consultants around them, VS spinning their wheels.
All of them actively use the Tableau Community forum and if you want to be the best Tableau Consultant possible – sign up!
What is a Tableau Consultant – The Sauce
In our honest opinion, if the Consultant doesn’t know SQL – then you can not take advantage of the data environment and the workbook will be slow. I know that may come across as difficult, rather we feel it’s important to explain what we’ve noticed as the biggest speed bump across all Tableau Engagements.
- What is a Tableau Consultant you ask? Dev3lop is a Tableau consultancy – We have completed over 100+ Tableau consulting engagements.
- We are the end users of the software product suite Tableau Desktop. They are capable of building reports, dashboards, and solving anything with SQL.
- They dabble in both front end and back end to ensure your workbooks are not clunky and slow. They help you maximize fundamentals and best practices to generate split second analysis.
- A Tableau Consultant is a true Tableau Desktop warrior and data visionary. They dive head first into multiple data sources and fear no custom SQL query.
- They know where to install tableau desktop.
- They know exactly how to download tableau desktop.
- They don’t sit and click for hours, days, weeks, and instead know how to automate hard workloads that usually people will estimate incorrectly.
- We’ve generated countless dashboard building macros for Enterprise companies like ‘The Nielsen Company.’
- They are proficient in the office and remote.
- They don’t pretend to know how to install Databases, and even know how to install MySQL on the Mac.
- Nested subqueries are this Tableau consultants breakfast. They fear no evil in the face of a diversity of odd duck solutions!
What is a Tableau Consultant and what do they look like?
They look like you and me! Please share images of you and your Tableau friends and family in the comments, and we will link back to your website!
Here at Dev3lop, we are packed full of Tableau consultants.
Click the image below to see our #1 Google ranked page! It’s all about Tableau Logo.
What is a Tableau Consultant doing Blogging?
Most of the blogs about Tableau are ‘show and tell’ – we like to tell and tell, vs holding the goods behind closed doors. So, we don’t force you to watch a youtube video, or signup. Solutions should be shared, optimized, and the best for the end user.
Sharing content is the only way to improve authority online, and it’s a great way to prove you’re not outsourcing your work because you’re just a fake sales funnel! Just being in the right place at the right time isn’t a business.
Just being in the right place at the right time isn’t a business.
We strive to separate ourselves from other independent consulting companies.
You should see how many of the ‘big name’ competitors have tried to hack our website this year!
What is a Tableau Consultant’s favorite coffee drink?
The cup that doesn’t spill and require a massive cleanup, and/or cursing.
I’m saying from experience, when I hyper focus, I tend to knock my coffee into my keyboard. 3 this year and counting.
What is a Tableau Consultant’s favorite chart?
You tell us!
We offer advanced content on the Tableau Community too.
Some call it a solution to dynamic parameters – which is the most requested product feature!